Ecotrust is a regional organization that has been leading restoration-based economic development since 1991. Ecotrust’s many innovations include cofounding an environmental bank, starting the world’s first ecosystem investment fund, creating a range of programs in fisheries, forestry, food, farms and indigenous affairs, and developing new scientific and information tools to improve social, economic, and environmental decision-making. Learn more at www.ecotrust.org.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Ecotrust offers a competitive salary, 403B retirement plan match, excellent benefits, and a flexible, creative, and collaborative work environment.
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
We are seeking a collaborative, creative front-end developer with a passion for clean code and great design that puts users first.
Working with the Knowledge Systems and Communications teams, the Software Experience Developer will craft designs, styles, front-end prototypes, and fully-functional front ends for the unique brand of tools and content our organization generates. This person is responsible for collaborating with developers to translate the concepts of their tools and with the Communications team to bring static content to life. This includes an iterative wireframing and prototyping approach, collaboration on APIs, working with revision management and automatic-deployment systems, and the ability to communicate with techies, writers, and clients alike.
The Software Experience Developer will:
- Engage with teams creatively from project kickoff
- Lend a helpful eye for aesthetics to less stylistic coworkers
- Wireframe solutions early in the process that meet both user needs and technical limitations
- Build low or high fidelity prototypes so that style and function can be fully assessed prior to beta releases
- Translate prototypes into working code that meets specs and matches the API
- Touch up legacy tools for improved usability and integrity
- Work within a CMS to allow the Communications team to apply more creativity than is normally afforded “out of the box”
- Demonstrate commitment to the Ecotrust mission
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of UI/UX principles (prototyping, user needs and testing)
- Knowledge of HTML5/CSS3
- Revision control methodologies (primarily Git)
- Familiarity with AJAX and RESTful APIs
- Passion for and experience with Open Source development
- Experience with responsive UI
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Committed to producing high quality work
Preferred But Not Required:
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks (jQuery, Knockout, Angular, other)
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Basic knowledge of SEO
- CSS preprocessors (LESS, SASS)
- Wireframing/prototyping tools (Balsamiq, Axure, other)
- Familiarity with D3.js or other data visualization tools
- Web-mapping (OpenLayers, Leaflet, Mapbox)
How To Apply:
Please follow these directions closely. With “Software Experience Developer” in the subject line, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on June 10, 2016 containing the following: an Ecotrust Employment Application form; a one-page cover letter clearly explaining how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position; a resume with links to any body of work, such as portfolios, code repositories in GitHub, or other examples.
Salary Range: $50,000 to $70,000, depending on experience.
This is a full-time position. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of our organization. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.