Ecotrust is a regional organization that has been leading restoration-based economic development since 1991. Ecotrust’s many innovations include cofounding an environmental bank, starting the world’s first ecosystem investment fund, creating a range of programs in fisheries, forestry, food, farms and indigenous affairs, and developing new scientific and information tools to improve social, economic and environmental decision making. Learn more at www.ecotrust.org.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Ecotrust offers a competitive salary, 403B retirement plan match, excellent benefits, and a flexible, creative, and collaborative work environment.
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
The Natural Resources Data Scientist will support the design, development, and implementation of natural resources data analyses, systems modeling, and communication of data-driven research. She/he will work closely with team members from Ecotrust’s Knowledge Systems and Forests & Ecosystem Services programs. This position is expected to provide support for 60-100% full-time equivalence.
As part of a team, plan, coordinate, and execute:
- natural resources data analyses, including statistical analysis, data exploration and visualization, quality assessment and quality control
- natural resources systems modeling, including quantification of ecosystem services
- geospatial data analyses and interpretation using Geographic Information Systems
- sampling, inventory, and monitoring strategies for forestry and other natural resource projects
- forest growth-and-yield modeling using the US Forest Service’s Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) and an open-source python package for batch modeling developed by Ecotrust
- ability to interpret and communicate complicated data through written and oral presentations to a variety of non-technical audiences;
- interactive tool development for communicating data-rich analyses to end-users (typically land managers and other natural resources decision-makers) using Excel or simple web interfaces (e.g., R’s Shiny package or python’s Spyre package).
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA, BS) in a natural resources field (Master’s Degree preferred). Comparable professional experience of 5+ years in a relevant field may also be considered.
- Proficiency with ArcGIS or open-source equivalents (e.g., qGIS)
- Strong knowledge of statistical analysis, data cleaning and processing, and visualization tasks
- Proficiency with programming using R and Python. Priority for familiarity with data analysis and visualization packages such as ggplot2 and Shiny (R), and matplotlib, bokeh, numpy, and pandas (python) as well as with machine learning algorithms in R and/or python (e.g., randomforest, scikit-learn)
- Proficiency using SQL and interacting with databases, such as SQLite, PostgreSQL and/or Microsoft Access
- Commitment to natural resources conservation, economic development and the mission of Ecotrust and the Forestry& Ecosystem Services Program.
- Strong written communication skills, moderate to strong verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of natural resource economics a plus
How To Apply:
Please follow these directions closely. Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word DOC) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with this position’s title in the subject line by close of business on the day of the application deadline listed above. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position.
Inquiries should be directed to David Diaz email@example.com.
Salary Range: $57,000 to $71,000 (full-time equivalent), depending on experience.
This is a part to full time position (60-100%) with benefits. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.