Ecotrust seeks an experienced and creative grant writer to join an existing Development team that supports all programs and projects throughout the organization. This position provides an opportunity to contribute directly to Ecotrust’s mission through close collaboration with a broad range of staff to support active and planned work.
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
Ecotrust’s Grant Writer will be responsible for preparing and submitting highly competitive funding proposals in conjunction with the program staff and their goals, and with other members of the development team. The Grant Writer will assist in the grant fulfillment process. In addition, this position will contribute to broader efforts of Ecotrust’s Development and Communications teams, including assisting with other fundraising projects and supporting the creation of cohesive, integrative, and compelling communications that support our fundraising efforts organization-wide.
- Compile, write, and edit grant applications exhibiting strong expository writing skills, a keen attention to detail, and a high-level command of grammar and spelling.
- Develop individual grant proposals tailored to each grant-making organization’s preferences and following the grant-maker’s guidelines exactly.
- Acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of Ecotrust’s mission, projects, and programs, and research grant-making organizations to identify likely funding sources for specific projects and programs.
- Assist in maintaining records in the development database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Coordinate with the Grant Manager and the Development Coordinator to manage the calendar of grant deadlines, to ensure that reports and applications are submitted on time and accurately, and communicate grant deadlines and requirements to responsible staff.
- Work with the finance team as needed in the proposal preparation and reporting process to ensure accurate financial reporting and budgeting.
- Provide stewardship materials for communicating with current donors, including regular written updates to corporate and foundation donors and acknowledgement letters, as requested.
- Assist the Director of Development and Communications staff as needed, to include providing material for reports, newsletters, and emails and ensuring that all proposals, reports, and appeals are integrated with the look, feel, and format of Ecotrust.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as assigned.
- Assist other support staff as assigned, including covering reception, scheduling, and maintaining the development calendar.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Exceptional written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand complicated subject areas, glean the critical elements, and the ability to communicate those elements to others.
- Keen attention to detail in the entire funding process and strong editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that allow strong working partnerships with program leads and Development and Communication team members.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work successfully under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to write “on deadline” and work with the project managers to ensure internal deadlines are met.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Strong contributor in team environments.
- An understanding of Ecotrust’s mission and exposure to the “natural model of development” or related models.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Ecotrust.
- Minimum three years experience proposal writing required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, public relations, communications, or a closely related field is preferred.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Demonstrated expert skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, & Outlook.
- Experience working in Raiser’s Edge or similar database and an excellent knowledge of database management.
- Excellent understanding of environmental and conservation issues.
- Good team player, flexible work style, and excellent interpersonal skills.
How To Apply:
Please follow these directions closely. Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available as a PDF or Word DOC at left) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Grant Writer in the subject line by close of business on the day of the application deadline listed above.
The position is full-time. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience; excellent benefits package including retirement plan match, medical and dental insurance, flexible spending account; life insurance and disability coverage provided.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve our mission. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.