Ecotrust seeks a passionate, adventurous, and accomplished development professional to lead our fundraising initiatives and drive a new era of impact and engagement for the organization.
Ecotrust’s mission is to inspire fresh thinking that creates economic opportunity, social equity, and environmental wellbeing. The organization is comprised of a diverse and evolving mix of programmatic initiatives and for-purpose enterprises designed to build transformative change in systems essential to our wellbeing, including: food and farms, forestry, fisheries, climate and energy, and the built environment. To date, we have leveraged $30 million in gifts to more than $1 billion in capital at work for local people, businesses, and organizations from Alaska to California.
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President (VP) of Development serves as a key member of the senior leadership team and an active participant in decision making for Ecotrust. In partnership with the President and Board Chair, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities and is a key driver of an integrated engagement strategy along with Ecotrust’s Communications and Events teams. The successful candidate will possess a solid fundraising background with an understanding of the changing landscape of philanthropy and a flexible and adaptive approach.
The VP of Development will have primary responsibility for designing and implementing the strategy and infrastructure needed to achieve Ecotrust’s financial goals through the development of key alliances and relationships and the solicitation of major gifts, foundation giving, government grants, corporate partnerships, and special events. The VP of Development is responsible for managing an established team of development professionals at Ecotrust.
S/he will expand and diversify Ecotrust’s donor base and funding pipeline, stewarding existing relationships and engaging a new generation of supporters to elevate Ecotrust’s impact, visibility, and financial resources. The VP of Development will work closely with the senior leadership team and program staff to secure funding for identified programmatic priorities and new initiatives, and will systematically and effectively strengthen the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
In partnership with the President and Board Chair, lead all major fundraising initiatives and campaigns to support Ecotrust’s mission, long-term goals, fiscal health, and special projects.
- Actively work with the President and leadership team to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy that includes a diverse range of revenue sources including major gifts, legacy gifts, foundation and government grants, corporate giving, as well as program and mission-related investments (MRIs and PRIs).
- Work closely with the CFO/COO to develop and implement Ecotrust’s financial strategy.
- Work closely with programmatic leads across diverse work areas to identify prospects, develop proposals, and secure funding.
- Inform the President and senior leadership team on current trends in the philanthropic sector and specific implications and opportunities for Ecotrust.
- Lead and mentor an established four-person team responsible for development and execution of all proposals, annual appeals, individual and legacy giving, management of the fundraising pipeline, and effective lead generation and relationship cultivation.
- Oversee Ecotrust’s events center and team, which is responsible for 500+ events annually with a broad set of community partners.
- Execute hands-on fundraising and business development responsibilities.
- Assure sound fiscal operation of development function including timely, accurate, and comprehensive income and expense budget creation, reporting, monitoring, and implementation; ensure accountability and compliance standards for all donors and funding sources.
- Work closely with the communications and events teams to develop targeted messaging and effective engagement strategies that inspire support, generate gifts, and build awareness for the Ecotrust brand.
- Oversee development and maintenance of appropriate systems for individual donor engagement and cultivation, grant management, lead generation, gift processing and recognition, and strategic engagement through events.
- Establish and maintain deep and broad knowledge of Ecotrust programmatic work and build fluency across programmatic initiatives.
- Manage and monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analyses to senior leadership team and board of directors.
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization or social enterprise; demonstrated success in a development function, building and maintaining relationships with diverse donor sources.
- Demonstrated track record of individual donor identification, cultivation and long-term stewardship.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; demonstrated ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors.
- Successful experience as the leader of a team, with a track record of talent selection, management and development.
- Flexible and adaptive approach; a leader who can proactively shape strategic, tactical fundraising initiatives in the context of organizational strategy and objectives as well as broader external philanthropic developments.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of Ecotrust’s mission and values.
- Experience working with diverse constituencies.
How To Apply:
Please complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (download at left) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to: email@example.com with Vice President, Development in the subject line by close of business on September 22, 2014.
No phone calls please.
This position is full-time. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits package includes retirement plan match, medical and dental insurance, and flexible spending account. Life insurance and disability coverage provided.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve our mission. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.